On the basis of Resolution passed by United Nations General Assembly on 11 December 2014 that International Day of Yoga will be observed on 21st June every year and as per the instructions given by the Government of India, under the coordination of the Embassy of India, Oman, Sports Department of Indian school Sohar, organized the first International Day of Yoga on 21st may 2015.
· As the summer vacations are starting from 4th June the celebration day was decided to be on 21st May.
· For this day students were practicing regularly during their sports periods.
· They were taught different ‘Asanas’.
· The ‘Asanas’ undertaken was ‘Surya Namaskar’.
· Scheduled timings were 8:00 am to 9:30 am and the venue was multipurpose hall, office block, ISS.
· Approximately five hundred students participated in yoga activity.
· Total session was divided into four groups started with the explanation and demonstration given by the sports department headed by Mr. Ankur Chaturvedi.
· Students perfectly executed different postures of ‘Surya Namaskar’ with divine music in back ground.
Mrs. Sanchita Verma, principal of Indian School Sohar, appreciated the efforts and asked the students to make ‘Surya Namaskar’ as a part of their morning ritual in order to strengthen themselves physically and mentally. She also took an initiative to make a regular schedule of ‘Yogic’ activities for the school.