‘I don't have a dis-ability, I have a different-ability’.
Inclusive education brings all children together in one classroom, regardless of their strengths and weaknesses in any area and seeks to maximise the potential of the students, with this aim in mind a one-day seminar was arranged for the teachers of Indian School Sohar on Saturday 5th march 2016. The resource person was
Ms Sujatha Sriram from India – a specialist in the INCLUSIVE EDUCATION set up. She is a special educator, counsellor and does yoga for children with neurological impairments. She is a recipient of the 2013 INVITATION LAASYA AWARD for exemplary work on inclusion.
She elaborated on the following points:
• Screening indicators to identify the difficulties.
• Checklist for knowing the current performance level of the student (CPL)
• Curriculum modification and accommodations
• Learning styles / multiple intelligence teaching in the classroom
• Behaviour modification tips and differentiation of sensory meltdowns and tantrums
• Shadow teacher do’s and don’ts
• Metacognition check list along with information processing
• Perquisites for handwriting
• Brain gym exercises
• Interaction and clarifying doubts
A special counselling session with Dr. Analpa Paranjpe - Principal, APEX centre for special education, Muscat, was conducted for the parents of special children.
‘I have a Disability. Yes, that’s true, but all that really means is I may have to take a slightly different path than you’.
For more photos Click here